MRG Foundation will award up to $10,000 to organizations throughout Oregon that are doing critical organizing and mobilization work around emerging challenges to democracy and civil, women’s and LGBTQ rights. This exciting one-time fund is designed to help alleviate some organizing challenges that have emerged nationwide due to the turbulent political atmosphere. Organizations that are leading efforts in critical areas of work need support now more than ever. This fund is intended to help groups that are taking on more than they anticipated doing at the end of 2017. The Democracy and Rights Fund will lend financial support to groups that are strategically responding to moments of crisis with organizing and mobilization and building their base for the future.
Democracy and Rights Grant Interest Areas:
- Groups doing organizing to counter white nationalism
- Organizations that are doing voter education on ballot measures, mobilization or registration can ask for additional support
- Groups working to counter the dismantling of environmental regulations, public lands, and/or in support of tribal sovereignty
- Groups actively organizing around emergent crises in the community (e.g. police brutality, gun violence, and other issues)
New organizations, past applicants and grantees are invited to consider applying to this fund. Any previous grantee organization can apply except for current multi-year grantees awarded in Fall, 2017 (renewing now) and Spring, 2018 (renewing in Spring, 2019). All other previous grantees are eligible, especially for new or unanticipated project work.
Eligibility: Applicants will have to meet the following core criteria:
- Be organizations – MRG does not fund projects by individuals.
- Work primarily in Oregon and be based in Oregon – MRG does not fund groups headquartered out of state, even if they’re working in Oregon.
- Have an annual organizational budget less than $500,000 or project fund less than $75,000—The project budget is intended for organizations with an annual budget larger than $500,000 (who would not typically be eligible for MRG funding) so that they may access funding for organizing projects that fit the above issue areas.
The grant will open on Monday, September 10, 2018 and will close on Friday September 28, 2018 at 5pm Pacific Time. Grants will be awarded no later than October 15, 2018.
MRG Foundation is a fundraising foundation. Can you donate to this fund and help us support even more groups?