Want to have an even greater impact with your giving? Donor-advised funds are a powerful tool to help you create a better world.
MRG Foundation has more than 30 years of experience facilitating donor-advised grants for progressive donors and we’ve handled nearly $5 million in grants in our donor-advised giving program. Donor-advised funds through MRG provide a way for you to simplify your giving by making a single donation to MRG that is then distributed to multiple non-profit organizations that you recommend over time.
There are many advantages to setting up a donor-advised fund. With a donor-advised fund, you can:
- Simplify your financial planning by making a single large donation in a given year, then having the flexibility to make grant recommendations over time
- Make a single stock transfer that will benefit multiple groups (including small groups that are not be set up to accept stock gifts)
- Receive information about progressive organizations working on issues you’re especially interested in
- Remain anonymous to the recipient organization(s) (if you choose)
- Receive immediate tax benefits
Think that a donor-advised fund might make sense for you? Contact Carol Tatch, MRG Donor Relations Director: firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-289-1517.
MRG’s Donor-Advised Fund Program FAQExpand All | Collapse All
MRG is committed to expanding giving in the progressive community, especially giving that supports social justice. In addition, donor-advised funds are a way MRG can support our donors as you seek to create a better world through your gifts.
Yes! You receive a tax benefit in the year in which you made your gift.
For short-term donor-advised funds (distributed within 30 days), a donor must make a gift and then recommendation of at least $500 for in state grants and $1,000 for out of state grants.
Long-term donor-advised funds start with a minimum gift of $10,000 to set up the fund.
The time you have to make grant recommendations depends on the size of your donor-advised fund:
- $500 to $9,999: 30 days to distribute funds
- $10,000 to $49,999: Two years to distribute funds
- $50,000 to $149,999: Four years to distribute funds
- $150,000 to $249,999: Six years to distribute funds
- More than $250,000: specifics of the fund will be determined in a conversation with MRG staff
MRG does charge a per-grant fee, but we waive fees for those who make direct gifts to MRG. The amount of the donation required to waive the fee depends on the size of the donor-advised fund.
No. Donor-advised grants may not include any transfer to an individual or a transfer for any purpose other than a charitable purpose. Thus, donor-advised funds cannot support scholarship programs or make grants to 501(c)(4) organizations.
No. According to IRS regulations, grants cannot be made that result in more than incidental benefit for the donor, fund advisor, or person related to the donor or fund advisor (directly or indirectly).
Generally, yes. However, MRG will not fund a group that is working against our vision for justice, such as a group that opposes marriage equality, is anti-choice, or works to erode environmental protections. MRG’s Board of Directors is responsible for final approval of all grant recommendations.
Yes. Grants to groups working internationally are okay if the recommended group is based in the United States with a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
Yes. If you want to be anonymous, MRG will not share your information with the groups you recommend for funding.